Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2015, 05:33 AM   #1
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $61142
Give Thanks: 472
5 Bands That Should Retire (Now)

“Hope I die before I get old.” These are words that Pete Townsend said in 1965, when he was 20. But it seems that a lot of bands, including the Who, have other thoughts these days. I am a huge fan of music, and have been all my life. My record collection has its own dedicated room, I read books, go to shows and watch every documentary that comes out. But nothing, and I mean NOTHING pisses me off more than watching bands I love disgrace their legacy by not only gouging their fans for hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars, but also putting on sub-par performances for those high prices.

Let’s face it – some bands should just STOP. They aren’t delivering the goods anymore. It turns into a bad version of what you heard on the records, or saw in YouTube videos from the band’s heyday. In short, it’s a letdown. So, here are five bands that I absolutely love, and sometimes when you love someone you have to be honest with them. I have the utmost respect for what all these bands have done, and I get it: YOU NEED TO MAKE A LIVING. But, seriously guys, there comes a time where you are just not doing your material justice.

https://www.myfreakinears.com/5-bands-retire-now/
MusicLover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
These Users say Thanks to MusicLover7:
Old 06-21-2015, 06:06 AM   #2
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Gameroom cash: $3559
Give Thanks: 23
Re: 5 Bands That Should Retire (Now)

Nah, some of those bands are still doing good work. I'd throw it over to bands like Yes, Boston, bands where the key creative elements are gone and they're basically just using the name.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:10 AM   #3
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

1. Rolling Stones
These guys not only canít play very well anymore, but they charge thousands of dollars for their tickets. I saw the Stones once, and it wasnít bad Ė I was 16 years old. This last tour I was debating whether to go see them, but after finding out the prices I figured I was better off sitting this one out and saving my money for Black Sabbath. I got a FRONT ROW seat for Sabbath (who put on a great show I might add) for the same price as a nosebleed to the Stones would have cost. It would have been cool to see Mick Taylor, but it just wasnít worth it. I love Keith, Ronnie, Mick and Charlie, and the Stones have made some amazing music in the past, but seriously guys, if you canít play your own songs (which ARE NOT exactly Frank Zappa compositions), why bother? And furthermore, why gouge people? You could easily charge less for your shows and still make a lot of money. Please stop.

2. The Who
The last time I saw the Who, I walked away saying ďNEVER AGAINĒ. I fucking LOVE the Who Ė one of my all-time favourite bands. Whoís Next, Tommy and Quadrophenia are some of the greatest pieces of music ever put onto wax. But, for Godís sake, it just ainít what it used to be. I absolutely love Peter Townshend and think he is up there with Brian Wilson and Lennon/McCartney as far as songwriting. But I love the Who because of the four guys that made up the band originally. Keith Moon is my favorite drummer of all time, and Entwistle is my favorite bassist. Replacements Pino Palladino and Zack Starkey are great musicians, but the last time I saw them, they played their ENTIRE new album, which straight-up SUCKED. They then launched into a half-assed attempt at some of their classics, but by that point I was so annoyed by the fact they just played shitty music for an hour, it was hard to enjoy it. They came once since doing Quadrophenia, which I skipped because I stick to my word. NEVER AGAIN. Please stop.

3. Aerosmith
Aerosmith literally ruined my summer once Ė LITERALLY. I had tickets to see them on LABOUR DAY WEEKEND with one of my favorite bands (who STILL kick ass) ZZ Top. About a week before the show, Steve Tyler decided to take a dive off the stage and ruin the entire tour. So, I STILL didnít get to see one of my favorite bands (ZZ Top), and I do like Aerosmith as well. Then, Tyler and Joe Perry had some fight, so Perry started his own band. It really sucked. I saw them open for SOMEBODY, maybe Motley Crue I think? Regardless Ė they sucked. They then returned with a new album which was a piece of garbage, and toured in support of said piece of garbage Ė which REALLY ISNíT what people want to hear from a band who was TOO OLD 15 years ago. I grew up on Aerosmith, but itís really sad to see what theyíve become. Please stop.

4. Van Halen

Van Halen, you ruined my St. Patrickís Day two years ago with your crappy show. I, as well as the two people I went with, deserve our $75 a piece back, please. Thereís nothing more to say about this. Thanks. Please stop.

5. KISS
Kiss Ė man I love this band. I am a card-carrying member of the KISS Army. But, after the last couple times Iíve seen them, itís just enough. They really need to just hang up their wigs. First, why is Tommy Thayer singing ďShock MeĒ? Why? Itís bad enough you have someone dressed up as Ace Frehley. I could deal with it if he just sang backup vocals and did the guitar solos. But lead vocals on Ace tunes? COME ON. I know Ace is allegedly a douchebag, but itís just too much for me to put up with. Besides, youíve dropped all the songs a full octave because of Paulís voice, and Paulís voice is still only a quarter of what it was. Itís really sad. Paul Stanley is easily one of the greatest singers in rock history in my opinion (after all, he WAS Phantom of the Opera.) The makeup, explosions and confetti canít cover these things anymore. The show is still the same, but the performance is not what it once was. Please stop.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:39 AM   #4
Black Night
Is a long way from home

Gameroom cash: $1959
Give Thanks: 0

It's up to them what they do, and up to us if we want to see them.
Black Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:03 AM   #5
hodad

Gameroom cash: $28591
Give Thanks: 164

Personally I wouldn't pay the high ticket prices to see the old famous bands but it's a free country and many people still want to and are willing to do that.
hodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:11 AM   #6
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

I was under the impression that the Rolling Stones and The Who had already retired.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:19 AM   #7
CosmicDancer
Ain't No Substitute For Arrogance

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $3124
Give Thanks: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Nah, some of those bands are still doing good work. I'd throw it over to bands like Yes, Boston, bands where the key creative elements are gone and they're basically just using the name.
While I agree that a band like Boston should hang it up, it should be noted that their key creative element Tom Sholz is still alive and actually the only original member that is still with them. That being said, without Brad Delp, there's no reason for Boston to still be out there. Just being nit-picky, I guess.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:25 AM   #8
bobbyg29
Professor of Rock n Roll

Gameroom cash: $3493
Give Thanks: 0

Lynyrd Skynrd

Last 2 albums have been called Chatanooga Choo-Choo and God & Guns...nuff said.

The tribute band currently using the name should change it to something else.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:15 AM   #9
heyjoe
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $1904
Give Thanks: 14

Speaking of Mick Taylor, about 15 yrs ago he was in town to possibly record a
track for his solo album and decided to play at a small club with his session guys.
The drummer and bass player were Jeff Beck guys if memory serves, so this
trio of immense talent played almost two hours.

There were about 26 ppl in the joint and half didn't even know who Mick T was. LOL
They did an instrumental workout of Can You Hear Me Knocking, needless
to say it went down as a small venue favorite show of mine... true story, indeed.
heyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thanks For This Post:
Old 06-21-2015, 10:16 AM   #10
Desdinova
Radios Appear!
Island Colonizer Champion, Pizza Pronto Champion, Super Sun Run Champion, Color Bomb Champion, Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Snake Champion, Asteroids Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, 3D Field Goal - Pro Champion, Coconutz On The Beach Champion, 3 Point Shootout Champion, Crystal Klondike Solitaire Champion, Paddle Ball Champion, 7th Thinning Smash Champion, Arkadium Skeeball Champion, Dropiz Champion, George Of The Jungle Swinging Kingdom Champion, Helicopter Champion, Smash Palace Champion, American Racing Champion, Moto Tomb Racer Champion, Flipped Out Champion, Run Home Champion, 2D Shootout Champion, Batman Gotham City Rush Champion, Pirates Blast Champion, Chomper Champion, Shuffle Champion, Backyards Buzzing Champion, Pixelknight II Champion, Hyper Travel Champion, Dragon Flame 2 Champion, Bob The Robber Champion, Reclamation Champion, Boulder Basher 2 Champion, Big Wave Dave Champion, Homer`s Beer Run 2 Champion, Ztar Champion, Crazy Taxi Champion, Olympic Shooting Practice Champion, Adventure Jack Champion, Highspeed Chase Champion, Mouse Hunt Champion, Heat Rush Champion, Curveball Champion

Gameroom cash: $1500
Give Thanks: 54

I've thought this for years,...and it's the biggest bands who are the biggest offenders. All those bands mentioned should retire. It's up to the concert goer to give these bands the proper motivation for retirement, by not paying the exorbitant ticket price. Like was mentioned above, people keep paying the money and attending the crappie shows, that's the root cause of the problem.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #11
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Gameroom cash: $3559
Give Thanks: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDancer View Post
While I agree that a band like Boston should hang it up, it should be noted that their key creative element Tom Sholz is still alive and actually the only original member that is still with them. That being said, without Brad Delp, there's no reason for Boston to still be out there. Just being nit-picky, I guess.
I see it more as a scale. If you're the only original member then even if you were the biggest factor in the band's sound, I still think the scale tips to the point where you would say the key creative elements are gone. No matter how crucial they were, one person can't embody a group by themselves.

I mean, I definitely see what you mean, as Scholz was the songwriter and all, but I think there's a threshold where that can be outweighed by the entire rest of the band -- even if they're not writing the songs, their flourishes still affect the band's creative output to the point where even the main guy alone is missing the essential pieces. Alvin Lee isn't Ten Years After, Kurt Cobain isn't Nirvana, no matter how crucial they were. In my opinion, anyway.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:09 AM   #12
Zombeels
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $3856
Give Thanks: 1

I will never blame the band for wanting to keep going until they are senile and crumbling. I blame the fans who pay ridiculous amounts of money for a band that is long washed up and they are to blind and deaf to notice that their music is no longer relevant or pleasing. If a new band came out with the exact same music they wouldn't even listen to them but because there is a famous name attached to it they throw their money at it.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:09 AM   #13
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

The Moody Blues

Two of the original band members (Ray Thomas and Mike Pinder) have retired, and their live performances are very sub-par. They also haven't recorded a new studio album since 2003.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #14
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombeels View Post
I blame the fans who pay ridiculous amounts of money for a band that is long washed up and they are to blind and deaf to notice that their music is no longer relevant or pleasing.
I think we have a few of those fans here on this forum.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #15
kw21925
He's very clean, isn't he?

Location: In a laundromat, a million miles away as the crow flies

Gameroom cash: $3779
Give Thanks: 147

Although not a band per se, I nominate The Drifters. All the original Drifters are dead, the present Drifters were all in The Drifters at one time or another, but none of them were on the records that made the group famous. They have some balls touring the Drifters name, IMO.
Some people say tube sound is a smoky nightclub with a hot chick in a red dress, itís a warm swimming pool in summer, glowing green against the purple twilight, itís a . . . well, hell, you canít really explain tube sound.
kw21925 is online now   Reply With Quote
These Users say Thanks to kw21925:
Old 06-21-2015, 03:47 PM   #16
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $34322
Give Thanks: 303
Exclamation Re: 5 Bands That Should Retire (Now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombeels View Post
I will never blame the band for wanting to keep going until they are senile and crumbling. I blame the fans who pay ridiculous amounts of money for a band that is long washed up and they are to blind and deaf to notice that their music is no longer relevant or pleasing.
Blamed? I don't see that there's a problem for which anyone should be blamed. It's the fans' money. They are therefore the final arbitrars of what pleases them, as opposed to armchair critics dealing with shoulds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
I've thought this for years,...and it's the biggest bands who are the biggest offenders. All those bands mentioned should retire. It's up to the concert goer to give these bands the proper motivation for retirement, by not paying the exorbitant ticket price. Like was mentioned above, people keep paying the money and attending the crappie shows, that's the root cause of the problem.
You're contradicting yourself. On the one hand you say these bands should retire, while on the other hand you're saying that there's nothing to motivate these bands to retire because of the continued existence of eager concert goers. So why then should these bands retire?

Secondly, where again is there a problem? I don't see any problem here.

Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #17
APageMark
Like acid & oil on a madman's face
Pinch Hitter Champion, Find The Suspect Champion, Bombardier Champion, Elite Base Jumping Champion

Gameroom cash: $17848
Give Thanks: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post

APageMark is offline   Reply With Quote
These Users say Thanks to APageMark:
Old 06-21-2015, 08:02 PM   #18
Desdinova
Radios Appear!
Island Colonizer Champion, Pizza Pronto Champion, Super Sun Run Champion, Color Bomb Champion, Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Snake Champion, Asteroids Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, 3D Field Goal - Pro Champion, Coconutz On The Beach Champion, 3 Point Shootout Champion, Crystal Klondike Solitaire Champion, Paddle Ball Champion, 7th Thinning Smash Champion, Arkadium Skeeball Champion, Dropiz Champion, George Of The Jungle Swinging Kingdom Champion, Helicopter Champion, Smash Palace Champion, American Racing Champion, Moto Tomb Racer Champion, Flipped Out Champion, Run Home Champion, 2D Shootout Champion, Batman Gotham City Rush Champion, Pirates Blast Champion, Chomper Champion, Shuffle Champion, Backyards Buzzing Champion, Pixelknight II Champion, Hyper Travel Champion, Dragon Flame 2 Champion, Bob The Robber Champion, Reclamation Champion, Boulder Basher 2 Champion, Big Wave Dave Champion, Homer`s Beer Run 2 Champion, Ztar Champion, Crazy Taxi Champion, Olympic Shooting Practice Champion, Adventure Jack Champion, Highspeed Chase Champion, Mouse Hunt Champion, Heat Rush Champion, Curveball Champion

Gameroom cash: $1500
Give Thanks: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
Blamed? I don't see that there's a problem for which anyone should be blamed. It's the fans' money. They are therefore the final arbitrars of what pleases them, as opposed to armchair critics dealing with shoulds.

You're contradicting yourself. On the one hand you say these bands should retire, while on the other hand you're saying that there's nothing to motivate these bands to retire because of the continued existence of eager concert goers. So why then should these bands retire?

Nope, I didn't contradict myself. My position is that they now suck and should quit. That's my opinion. The fact that people pay large amounts of money to see sucky concerts, in no way affects my position that they now suck and should quit. They should quit because they're an embarrassment. It's really now "only" about how much money they can squeeze out of their brand name, and not about playing well. I just wish some of these guys would've salvaged some shred their dignity and quit a couple decades ago. That's the problem I see.

You are right about the concert goer being the final arbitrators of what pleases them, and it is their money. I just wish they'd stop enabling these once great hero's of rock & roll to make complete asses of themselves, it's painful for me to watch.