Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2016, 07:16 AM   #1
Revman
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 0
Rolling Stones Exile On Main St "Album of Month" Review

Put this together a couple of days ago for Gibson Guitar: https://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle...n-Main-St.aspx
Revman is offline   Reply With Quote
These Users say Thanks to Revman:
Old 05-13-2016, 08:29 AM   #2
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $46024
Give Thanks: 820
Exclamation Re: Rolling Stones Exile On Main St "Album of Month" Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson Classic Album of the Month - Russell Hall
Simply put, the Rolling Stones’ 1972 double-album opus, Exile on Main St., remains the group’s towering achievement, a brilliant amalgam of blues, country, gospel and R&B wrapped inside ragged, transcendent rock and roll.
I strongly disagree. Exile on Main Street is nowhere close to my favourite Stones' album.

One problem:

Quote:
In Life, Richards reveals that five-string, open G tuning provided a gateway to a seemingly endless stream of ideas.

“I was starting to really fix my trademark,” he writes. “Suddenly, with the five-string, songs were just dripping off my fingers. My first real exercise on five-string was ‘Honky Tonk Women,’ a couple of years before.
Precisely! That open tuning sound has become the Stones' trademark, but as a result there's been a certain sameness to the Stones' music ever since then. I've had just about enough of that open tuning sound.

Moreover, the Stones' music was just better when it was more varied before Exile on Main Street. Don't believe me? Just count the hits before Exile, and then after.

Quote:
Jagger’s vocals were buried deep in the mix—the words were unclear, but the passion was unmistakable.
Mick Jagger's singing was the other problem. I guess it began with a few of the tracks on Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed, but he was playing tricks with his voice (actually trying too hard to sound black) on most of the tracks on Exile. I'd noticed it back in 1969 and asked a buddy of mine "You know what's wrong with Let It Bleed?" When he replied that there wasn't too much wrong with the album, I said "The singing! Jagger's playing games with his voice." This has continued to mar Stones' albums ever since. Just sing the song straight, the way you used to do in the sixties when you had all those chart topping hits!

Granted, I still like the Stones compared to most everything else out there, but most everything else out there has been crap over the last forty years. I can find lots of individual tracks I like from the last forty years, but artists from the last forty I'd rank up there with my very favourites are rare indeed.

Last edited by Foxhound : 06-15-2022 at 10:14 AM.
Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #3
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $61142
Give Thanks: 472
Re: Rolling Stones Exile On Main St "Album of Month" Review

One of the most overrated albums in the history of Rock 'n' Roll.

This album was the begining of the "Sucking in the Seventies" era for The Rolling Stones.
MusicLover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
These Users say Thanks to MusicLover7:
Old 05-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #4
Revman
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
Moreover, the Stones' music was just better up to Exile on Main Street when it was more varied. Don't believe me? Just count the hits before Exile, and then after.
To judge any band’s work by “the number of hits” it generates is to use a pretty shallow measure. The Royal Guardsmen had a couple of hits – the Velvet Underground did not. Great, timeless music isn’t always meant to be fodder for the Billboard charts.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

The hits are a necessary but not sufficient condition for greatness. Bands don't last if they don't achieve commercial success. Critical success alone doesn't pay the bills. Like I say, bands need both commercial success and something else I can't immediately define to be classified as "great" in my book.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
Revman
Classic Rocker

Quote:
The hits are a necessary but not sufficient condition for greatness. Bands don't last if they don't achieve commercial success. Critical success alone doesn't pay the bills. Like I say, bands need both commercial success and something else I can't immediately define to be classified as "great" in my book.

No, hits are not necessary for greatness. Again, the Velvet Underground. Or the Soft Boys. Or Cowboys International. I could go on and on... How many hits did the Ramones have?
Old 05-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #7
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Velvet Underground were/are critical darlings alright. But "Huh?!" as opposed to "Darling!" is the first word that's always popped into my mind when I've given their records a spin. I prefer among many others say the substantially less acclaimed ? & the Mysterians from the same time period.

The Ramones had a big hit or two and several lesser ones. And while I like the Ramones, I'd hesitate to call them "great" even though they were somewhat influential.

And you've got a very liberal definition of "greatness" if Soft Boys or Cowboys International make the list. Sure, they might be among your favourites but....

Last edited by Foxhound : 06-15-2022 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
Revman
Classic Rocker

I should have known better than to come back to this forum. Left it a few years ago, and now I remember why. Bye, everyone.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #9
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

This is a discussion forum. People will sometimes hold differing viewpoints and disagree with your own. I don't understand why that should present any kind of a problem.

These Users say Thanks to Foxhound:
Old 05-13-2016, 04:41 PM   #10
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $61142
Give Thanks: 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revman View Post
I should have known better than to come back to this forum. Left it a few years ago, and now I remember why. Bye, everyone.
Bye-bye.......
MusicLover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:03 PM   #11
heyjoe
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $1904
Give Thanks: 14

Awww come on Revman. I'll discuss why I think it is an achievement for them, why it is one of the
best rock and roll lp's ever cut, topping one of the most brilliant run of releases by anyone. And I love
Goat Heads too, but it's not included in the aforementioned group. I'm posting on opinion,
pure memory of what I've read, know and of course, a long time of listening pleasure.

During the recording of Exile in a hideaway villa in France, I think the band felt like turds on the run,
nuzzled into a strange setting with a resort flat full of strange folk. The rampant abuse of drink and drug,
exhaustion, and the inevitable locomotive rail of superstardom fueled a need to blow it out with studio
tomfoolery; in other words, they were going to do things a little differently. The delta blues-meets-the-
devil assault and drive that produced some seriously searing licks that sounded like live performance, and
the muddy raw soul of many of the tracks absolutely blew heads back. Most of the album had the
relentless energy of Brown Sugar and Bitch, uncompromising, adventurous and stout.

If any of their output was calculated (and I'm starting w/ Beggars) on through to
Sticky Fingers, I don't catch that so much with this one. I don't think the band gave a
crap at this point. They had earned more control and while Jimmy Miller produced, the boys
might as well have.

What I hear (like right now) is a studio lp that was not formulated with anthemic set pieces and hits, but is
propelled by raw nerve, emotion and spontaneity. The Stones had mentioned, just as Dylan had,
that they were not particularly interested in framing their songs around politics, but it seems they certainly
had with prior outputs. They seemed to tap into something different here... a hail mary on their own terms.
It sounded reckless but passionate, a deep needle stick of something else unknown, untried, maybe as if
this might be their last lp as a band. And I agree Jagger was fiddling with vocal tricks and styles,
even more so w/ Exile. But for me this style works out quite well with the material. Richards and Taylor's
interplay and trade offs peaked here in the studio, balled up rhythmic rumble ignited with quickfire leads.
They were never better live than with the following tour in my opinion. Loving Cup w/ a killer horn chart,
still gives me chills, makes me feel pure happiness and hope with smiles, every time I hear it ... for over 4 decades.

It has often been said that truly great works of art aren't realized right away. At first I think many fans liked Exile, but didn't know what hit them. Exile grew on a lot of fans more than most of the early period albums into something truly great a little later on.
heyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:21 AM   #12
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
I'm posting on opinion,
pure memory of what I've read, know and of course, a long time of listening pleasure.

It has often been said that truly great works of art aren't realized right away. At first I think many fans liked Exile, but didn't know what hit them. Exile grew on a lot of fans more than most of the early period albums into something truly great a little later on.
Nice writeup even though I still don't like Exile on Main Street!

Old 06-15-2022, 01:45 PM   #13
dr wu
Dr Prog

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $9808
Give Thanks: 434

Exile was a good lp...but I have always preferred Beggars and Bleed....Exiles also reminds me of Sticky at times. But for Stones listening I play the 2 Hot Rocks collections which contain all of their good tracks anyway.
I don't play any studio lp's after 1974 and It's Only Rock n Roll.....imo they simply were writing the same songs again but not as good....but if someone is a Stones freak I can see why they would buy them.
dr wu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:51 PM   #14
SpanishTonyMedia
Classic Rocker

Spanish Tony Media

We are pleased to announce that we will be hosting our first ever exhibition at @bricklanegallery on 28th September 2022.

Limited tickets available, see our bio for the event link.

Our grandfather Tony, was one of the official photographers for The Rolling Stones during the 1970s. We will be showcasing some of Tony's best work, lots of exclusive unseen shots of the band and their friends and associates. We have some amazing photos from Redlands, Villa Nellcote, The Rock N Roll Circus, Keith in Switzerland and more!

Limited edition prints will be available to purchase during the exhibition.

IG - @SpanishTonyMedia

Free ticket link available on IG BIO
SpanishTonyMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:58 PM   #15
Marshall Stack
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $15757
Give Thanks: 1,826
Thanked 1,289 Times in 997 Posts

Tony was an interesting bloke for sure!
Marshall Stack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:15 PM   #16
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr wu View Post
But for Stones listening I play the 2 Hot Rocks collections which contain all of their good tracks anyway.
All? Well many, but I could list several dozen pre-1971 Stones' tracks that I really like which weren't on either compilation.

Old 09-28-2022, 09:17 AM   #17
dr wu
Dr Prog

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $9808
Give Thanks: 434

Quote:
All? Well many, but I could list several dozen pre-1971 Stones' tracks that I really like which weren't on either compilation.

The 2 Hot Rocks collections cover '64-'71......which several dozen would you list...I'm all ears.
dr wu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:07 AM   #18
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Okay. In roughly chronological order:

Mona ( I Need You Baby)
Under the Boardwalk
Congratulations
If You Need Me
Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
Down Home Girl
Off the Hook

Pain in My Heart
Surprise, Surprise
That's How Strong My Love Is
Cry to Me
She Said Yeah
You Better Move On
The Singer Not the Song
Blue Turns to Grey
Take It or Leave It
Think
I Am Waiting
Who's Driving Your Plane?
Back Street Girl
All Sold Out

Complicated
Citadel
In Another Land
2000 Man
The Lantern
Dear Doctor
Parachute Woman
Jigsaw Puzzle
Straycat Blues
Factory Girl
Salt of the Earth
Sway
Bitch
Sister Morphine
Dead Flowers

Were I burning my own CD, the tracks in red would be my first picks to replace these nine tracks that I actually dislike on the Hot Rocks albums:

What to Do
Bye Bye Johnnie
I Can't Be Satisfied
Long, Long While
Good Times, Bad Times
Under My Thumb
Street Fighting Man
No Expectations
You Can't Always Get What You Want

I'd also replace the muddy single version of Get Off of My Cloud with the rarely heard version where the guitar riff leaps out of the mix which is found in an early release of the Hot Rocks CD (or SACD).