Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > 60's
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

60's Discuss your favorite classic rock & pop from the 60's.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #1
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $61142
Give Thanks: 472
Fifty years of "Between the Buttons"

Sequestered deep within The Rolling Stones’ mid-1960s archive, there’s a song called “English Summer.” Entire legends have grown up around it; collectors dream of some day hearing it, researchers dream of pinning it down. The best recollections of historians, musicians and observers alike insist that it was recorded at Olympic Studios in November 1966, potentially to become the Stones’ next single.

But the “Let’s Spend The Night Together”/”Ruby Tuesday” coupling stepped in instead, and “English Summer” was left to languish in the vault, not even considered worth completing for the band’s next album.

It was handed on to Marianne Faithfull, for use in her own decelerating career — she recorded it the following May, allegedly alongside a version of The Beatles’ then still-unreleased “With A Little Help From My Friends,” but it’s not a gift that she recalled when asked about it a few years ago.

Quite simply, “English Summer” vanished as quickly as its seasonal namesake usually does, and maybe that’s just as well. It could never have been as great as the legend insists it must be; and, although the title resonates like no other, that’s just hindsight talking. Yes, the band was heading towards its most tumultuous summer yet; yes, the music scene in general was swinging into its most turbulent. But, sitting in the studio one cold, damp November evening, the Stones could not have known any of that. Could they?

https://www.goldminemag.com/articles/...m_medium=email
MusicLover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $45937
Give Thanks: 816
Exclamation Re: Fifty years of "Between the Buttons"

Great article!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Thompson - Goldminemag
In creating a sequence of songs that, though they had no overt thematic connection to one another, nonetheless flowed with an unprecedented cohesion, a conceptual offering in all but storyline, “Between The Buttons” blueprinted all that The Beatles would go on to achieve. “Sgt. Pepper” was The Beatles’ attempt to make their own “Between The Buttons.” And you know what? Song for song, mood for mood, they failed.
Interesting point.

Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #3
kw21925
He's very clean, isn't he?

Location: In a laundromat, a million miles away as the crow flies

Gameroom cash: $3974
Give Thanks: 151
Re: Fifty years of "Between the Buttons"

Actually, "Their Satanic Majesties Request" was The Stones' attempt to make their own "Sgt. Pepper". And you know what? Song for song, mood for mood, they failed.
Some people say tube sound is a smoky nightclub with a hot chick in a red dress, it’s a warm swimming pool in summer, glowing green against the purple twilight, it’s a . . . well, hell, you can’t really explain tube sound.
kw21925 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:39 AM   #4
JET
Midway Up The Ceiling
Pacos adventure 3 Champion, Fluxball Champion, Win a Million 2 Champion, Penthouse Pool Champion, Movie Connection Champion, Stay The Distance Champion, Rail Rush Champion, Wheel Of Fortune Champion, Simon Champion, Kid Canyon Champion, Word Sailing Champion, Rock Shoot Champion, Zerpent Champion, Horse Jumping 3D Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, 3D Pacman Champion, Holdem Flash Poker Champion, Dart Challenge 501 Champion, Crazy Chess Champion, Cigarette Killer Champion, Wylie And Friends Champion, Candy Shooter 2 Champion

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $47422
Give Thanks: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw21925 View Post
Actually, "Their Satanic Majesties Request" was The Stones' attempt to make their own "Sgt. Pepper". And you know what? Song for song, mood for mood, they failed.
Dave Thompson wrote a article trying to suggest that the Beatles got their ideas from The Rolling Stones. And you know what? Word to word, idea to idea, he failed.

In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind. - Job 12:10
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
These Users say Thanks to JET:
Old 06-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
mlbman
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 0

Between the Buttons, UK version is probably my favorite Stones Albums. It seemed to flow well from song to song and it has a certain feel to the album that I cannot quite explain, but there is a feel there for me throughout the album. I think of it as a theme album, but not sure if it was intended to be a theme album or not.
mlbman is offline   Reply With Quote
These Users say Thanks to mlbman:
Old 06-21-2017, 07:22 PM   #6
hodad
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $28591
Give Thanks: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbman View Post
Between the Buttons, UK version is probably my favorite Stones Albums. It seemed to flow well from song to song and it has a certain feel to the album that I cannot quite explain, but there is a feel there for me throughout the album. I think of it as a theme album, but not sure if it was intended to be a theme album or not.
My favorite Stones album too, just a bunch of great songs. It was described somewhere as "demonic folk rock".
hodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:54 PM   #7
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw21925 View Post
I disagree. I really like six of the tracks on Their Satanic Majesties Request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodad View Post
My favorite Stones album too, just a bunch of great songs. It was described somewhere as "demonic folk rock".
It's one of my very favourites as well.

Old 10-18-2022, 05:49 PM   #8
Marshall Stack
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $15672
Give Thanks: 1,818
Thanked 1,279 Times in 990 Posts

Blonde On Blonde had influenced most, this was layed down in late '66 in Barnes. Nice that Bob Dylan wrote and had a hit with his tribute to Brian... and then financed his coffin - shame on the rest!
One of 3 albums this year.
Marshall Stack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 11:38 PM   #9
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Stack View Post
Nice that Bob Dylan wrote and had a hit with his tribute to Brian....
Which one was that?

Old 10-19-2022, 12:30 PM   #10
Marshall Stack
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $15672
Give Thanks: 1,818
Thanked 1,279 Times in 990 Posts

I know it's a bit of a musical urban myth (like Rod playing harmonica on My Boy Lollipop.) but Al Kooper said it a few times and Bob himself (especially with Brian present at the 1967 Monterey festival) said it was written with Brian in mind, maybe just massaging his ego?
I always thought it was about one of Warhols hangers on Edie?
Anyways Bob was a genuine ear to Brian's woes.
Marshall Stack is online now   Reply With Quote