Classic Rock Forums

Classic Rock Forums (https://www.crf2.com/forum.php)
-   Main Rock Lounge (https://www.crf2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc (https://www.crf2.com/showthread.php?t=69108)

dr wu 01-14-2021 11:25 AM

Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
We have a 'What Are You Listening To' thread but I wanted one where we could list some of our favorite obscure or lesser known music. Post a track link or the whole lp if you wish.
I will start with one of my favorite obscure US psych rock things.


Foxhound 01-14-2021 11:50 AM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
One of my favourite difficult to classify tracks from the sixties:



:music:

dwill123 01-14-2021 02:05 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Full Moon, with guitarist Buzz Feiten (replaced Elvin Bishop in the Paul Butterfield Blues Band).


dr wu 01-15-2021 01:53 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
I might have mentioned these guys before....imho as good as any country blues rock back in the day...I read somewhere that The Eagles used to watch them and other bands play at The Troubador ...one wonders how much they stole from bands like Illinois Speed Press?


dr wu 01-15-2021 01:54 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 

Foxhound 01-15-2021 02:00 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Goddo often released tracks with a surreal sound:



:music:

dwill123 01-15-2021 05:41 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Luther Rabb (Late), childhood friend of Jimi Hendrix in Seattle. Later became the bass player for War.


Foxhound 01-16-2021 10:05 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Chicken Shack is a generally overlooked band:





:phones:

dr wu 01-16-2021 10:46 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
^I have one old LP from them called Accept...good blues rock and Christine Perfect (Mc Vie) was in them for a while.

Foxhound 01-17-2021 12:29 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Savoy Brown is another band from which we don't often hear these days:



:phones:

dr wu 01-17-2021 01:58 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
One of my old favorites....Raw Sienna is my favorite...but all the early ones are great and even when they went more in to hard rock later.

dr wu 01-17-2021 02:01 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Made me think of this band...loved them...a great bunch of players who never got much recognition.

Foxhound 01-17-2021 03:11 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
You posted this other Steamhammer track back in April:



It was a real ear-opener for me.

:music:

dwill123 01-17-2021 03:43 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 

dr wu 01-17-2021 06:04 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhound (Post 1297402)
You posted this other Steamhammer track back in April:



It was a real ear-opener for me.

:music:

I hoped you liked it...I love both of those tracks as well as the albums which are on you tube. I have them on cd...the lps are hard to find and expensive on old vinyl.

dr wu 01-17-2021 06:14 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Another band from those times in England...similar style blues rock...
let the song develop.. it starts slow...these guys are obscure; have first one on original Vertigo vinyl..cost me some money.



I noticed I posted this track and Passing Through by Steamhammer on the prog rock thread...man it's hell to get old and forgetful.
:)

dwill123 01-18-2021 11:39 AM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 



Foxhound 01-18-2021 09:43 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr wu (Post 1297418)
Another band from those times in England...similar style blues rock...
let the song develop.. it starts slow...these guys are obscure; have first one on original Vertigo vinyl..cost me some money.


That's another one I really like!

:thumbsup:

Foxhound 01-18-2021 10:52 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Many/most classic rock fans will hasten to agree that Aynsley Dunbar belongs within the pantheon of great drummers, but when does anyone ever listen to the Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation?





:scratch:

dr wu 01-19-2021 09:19 AM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhound (Post 1297436)
That's another one I really like!

:thumbsup:

They, Gravy Train, did 4 lp's and most of them are on you tube.
I like that early Brit proggy blues rock sound from 1968-1972 or so..there were a few US bands also but the Brits had it down.

dr wu 01-19-2021 09:36 AM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhound (Post 1297437)
Many/most classic rock fans will hasten to agree that Aynsley Dunbar belongs within the pantheon of great drummers, but when does anyone ever listen to the Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation?



:scratch:

Very good drummer and fronted his own band for several lp's and played for many many bands over the years...I used to own Doctar Dunbars Prescription(1968) but like so many lps over the years I lost it somewhere.
He played on some very well known Zappa lp's including Chunga, Burnt Weeny, Fillmore east, Wazoo,,,,etc...played on Pin Ups and Diamond Dogs for Bowie...and was the drummer for the first 4 Journey albums.
A long and varied career...still going. :thumbsup:

dr wu 01-19-2021 09:43 AM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
An obscure one worth some cash if you can find the vinyl..sought after by collectors....I have a cd version...The Doors meet Black Sabbath.. not everyones cuppa but I like the hard edged doom to it.
And this was 1969 (when Zep came out)


dwill123 01-19-2021 05:17 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 



Foxhound 01-20-2021 12:18 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
This one by Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity got to #5 in the United Kingdom and #13 in Canada but received next to no air play in the States:



:phones:

dr wu 01-20-2021 12:56 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhound (Post 1297462)
This one by Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity got to #5 in the United Kingdom and #13 in Canada but received next to no air play in the States:



:phones:

Good version...written by Dylan and Rick Danko on the first Band lp.
Driscoll and Auger were never very big inthe US but I have many Brian Auger lps and a few with Driscoll on them.

dwill123 01-21-2021 08:21 AM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Buddy Miles




dr wu 01-21-2021 11:28 AM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Them Changes was my favorite by Buddy but not exactly obscure...imho....Them Changes was on the charts and radio a lot back then.
Even Auger and Driscoll were fairly well known in England .
C'mon guys ...lets find some 'obscure' things like High Tide ,,and White Chocolate above, ;)

dwill123 01-21-2021 11:36 AM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr wu (Post 1297477)
Them Changes was my favorite by Buddy but not exactly obscure...imho....Them Changes was on the charts and radio a lot back then.

Who posted 'Them Changes'?

dr wu 01-21-2021 11:40 AM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwill123 (Post 1297479)
Who posted 'Them Changes'?

Uh...I did....or I mean mentioned it as being my favorite.
:)

dr wu 01-21-2021 11:46 AM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
US 1971.., I look for these old obscure bands and I had never heard of this one until a week or so ago....heavy blues rock


Tkitna 01-22-2021 11:52 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 

Foxhound 01-23-2021 01:37 AM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr wu (Post 1297477)
C'mon guys ...lets find some 'obscure' things like High Tide ,,and White Chocolate above, ;)

Okay, how about Nanette Workman then? Though born in Brooklyn in 1945, she grew up in Jackson, Mississippi and briefly attended the University of Southern Mississippi. But it was only after she moved to Montréal in 1966 that she achieved success as a recording artist:








:thumbsup:

dwill123 01-23-2021 07:29 AM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 



dr wu 01-23-2021 12:45 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhound (Post 1297532)
Okay, how about Nanette Workman then? Though born in Brooklyn in 1945, she grew up in Jackson, Mississippi and briefly attended the University of Southern Mississippi. But it was only after she moved to Montréal in 1966 that she achieved success as a recording artist:








:thumbsup:

Why do I think you are into her because of her looks and not so much the music..?
;)

dr wu 01-23-2021 12:50 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tkitna (Post 1297528)

:thumbsup:
Now That's what I'm talking about....impossible to find but worth mega bucks if you did. I listened to that on you tube about a week ago....they came out of an earlier band called Locomotive which can be had on cd and vinyl though again originals are expensive.


dr wu 01-23-2021 12:56 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwill123 (Post 1297552)



Yes...another winner....now that's obscure hard rock....:thumbsup:

Foxhound 01-24-2021 12:24 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr wu (Post 1297563)
Why do I think you are into her because of her looks and not so much the music..?



I don't think you would have even raised the point had you not been intrigued by Nanette's looks who incidentally provided backup vocals on Honky Tonk Women.

:D

Foxhound 01-24-2021 12:32 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Doug & the Slugs are another band that gets little appreciation:







:smile:

dwill123 01-24-2021 01:51 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 



dr wu 01-25-2021 12:03 PM

Re: Obscure Music: Rock, Jazz, etc
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhound (Post 1297588)


I don't think you would have even raised the point had you not been intrigued by Nanette's looks who incidentally provided backup vocals on Honky Tonk Women.

:D

Uh,,,excuse me but you are the Foxhound who posts all those scantily clad women in your Wow thread.. right..?
;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted by: F5 / MVH Internet Services

Copyright ©2005-2018, CRF2.com