Classic Rock Forums

Classic Rock Forums (https://www.crf2.com/forum.php)
-   80's (https://www.crf2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Have any bands really attempted to pick up Zeppelin's blues rock mantle? (https://www.crf2.com/showthread.php?t=24057)

Foxhound 11-10-2008 10:55 AM

Have any bands really attempted to pick up Zeppelin's blues rock mantle?

A number of great blues rock bands were spawned in the sixties e.g. Rolling Stones, Animals, Yardbirds, Fleetwood Mac, Cream, Ten Years After, Jeff Beck Group, Led Zeppelin, Savoy Brown, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Steve Miller Band, Mountain etc. But have any new bands really done a good job of taking up the mantle since the late seventies? Was Led Zeppelin actually the last of the line of great blues rock bands?

:scratch:

BTW, I don't believe that either AC/DC or Van Halen can be classified as blues rock bands.

Rotherhamkid 11-10-2008 11:06 AM

Re: Have any bands really attempted to pick up Zeppelin's blues rock mantle?

Van Halen, no...though Eddie has done some blues stuff (Ice Cream Man from Van Halen, Apolitical Blues from OU812 and Bluesbreaker, I think that's it's name, a duet he did with Brian May in their short-lived Starfleet project)

Some of Angus' stuff is quite bluesy, certainly with Bon like The Jack and Ride On...but he's more blues-derived than a true blues player.

Great White did a some Zeppelin stuff...A LOT of Zeppelin stuff...but they weren't too bluesy.

I suppose your best bet is to check out guys who came out since the Zep who perhaps veer more to the blues side of blues-rock than the rock side (SRV, Joe Bonamassa etc.)

zeppboy 11-10-2008 11:39 AM

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
Early Whitesnake
Pat Travers Band

Foxhound 11-11-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohndMcClane
... but I guess it's got something to do with that Van Halen is considered "the new Zeppelin"....

Eeeek!!! Whoever said that? I really don't detect much blues influence in the music of Van Halen.

zeppboy 11-11-2008 02:32 PM

When Kingdom Come first come out many people thought Led Zeppelin had reformed. They sound eerily like Zeppelin especially on the first few albums.

humanmachinery 11-11-2008 03:00 PM

I dunno. I'd say the last truly great blues rock band was either Thin Lizzy or Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble.

John Mayer is making some pretty sweet blues right now, but he's a solo artist (not a band).

Eric Gales and his brothers put out a sweet album, but he tends to work solo. Actually, I don't think he's made any music since his house burned down. :(

albatross 11-11-2008 10:29 PM

I hear it in some of the White Stripes stuff. But I wouldn't say they picked up the mantle. They definitely have their own style.

Phantastico 11-12-2008 12:53 AM

Black Crowes

Deja Vu 11-12-2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhound (Post 757177)
A number of great blues rock bands were spawned in the sixties e.g. Rolling Stones, Animals, Yardbirds, Fleetwood Mac, Cream, Ten Years After, Jeff Beck Group, Led Zeppelin, Savoy Brown, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Steve Miller Band, Mountain etc. But have any new bands really done a good job of taking up the mantle since the late seventies? Was Led Zeppelin actually the last of the line of great blues rock bands?

BTW, I don't believe that either AC/DC or Van Halen can be classified as blues rock bands.

Well, I think Aerosmith was the last band in that line. They were influenced by all those bands but still early enough to be in the group itself.

I definetly consider AC/DC a blues rock band... to me they're more of an overt blues-rock style like Stevie Ray Vaughan, it's not so much blues influences like the older bands, it's more of how everything they do is dripping with a blues overtone.

0 people will agree, but to me Nirvana will always be Zeppelin's successor. Zep's best feature to me is the way they put together these picture perfect albums of such varying song-style. Nirvana didn't do it perfectly but they're the closest band I've ever heard to mirroring that.

As for a blues rock sucessor, certainly there are people today we can look at, although their music is a cocktail of Zep, Hendrix, Stevie, Johnny Winter, et al... people like Joe Bonamassa, Lance Lopez. There's still blues rock going on, the only difference is it's on the underground now. I don't think there's a blues rock artist that has dominated the mainstream since maybe SRV.

Fred_Zeppelin 11-12-2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeppboy (Post 757192)
Early Whitesnake

See, I would say that late Whitesnake (1987 onwards)ape Led Zep most mercilessly, but with less wit. And that's coming from a lifelong Coverdale fan.

And just listen to Slow And Easy, from the Slide It In album. If that isn't In My Time Of Dying, I'll eat my hat!

Deja Vu 11-12-2008 06:33 PM

I still think Slow and Easy is a Robert Plant solo song every time I hear it on the radio.

doomeus 11-13-2008 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantastico (Post 758324)
Black Crowes

i second that. definitely the most zep sounding band i've heard since zep

HERBROCKS 11-13-2008 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhound (Post 757177)

You could argue that most any rock band is blues based, but I would say the Southern rock and jam bands are carrying the "blues torch" in rock now. I think the only "new blues" band with mass popularity right now is John Mayer.

I would also suggest that most of the listed bands are "more blues" than Zep; we all remember the early Zep sound copied by bands like KINGDOM COME, GREAT WHITE and WHITESNAKE in the 80s, but many forget that country music was a big part of Zep's (Page's) sound, and the later stuff also touched on jazz, reggae, Spanish and other styles

R'N'RStation 04-17-2009 12:13 AM

No, there is no one. Blues is my specialty, and though there are many good Blues and (old style) R&b bands still extant, and a few great Blues-Rock players, there's not a truly great Blues-Rock band today who can stand toe to toe with the giants of the 60's & 70's, imo.
( I concede that I haven't heard Joe Bonamassa yet, so...)

Of the legendary bands, the Allman Bros. and Savoy Brown are keeper's of the flame, albeit with very different members. Bugs Henderson is still wailin'. Johnny Winter is still the man, but is greatly hampered by poor health.

Of course, Robin Trower soldiers on undaunted. In fact he's on tour now !

Serena 04-17-2009 12:42 AM

Wolfmother perhaps? Many bands have attempted, but no one has been able to pull it off well yet, at least no one I've heard.

muleman 04-17-2009 03:09 AM

cry of love would have done a great job if they lasted longer!

Pat Catalano 04-23-2009 02:00 PM

How about Great White?

MsHiFi 05-03-2009 02:07 PM

I thought Wolfmother sounded very Zeppelinesque when I checked out some of their music awhile ago but I haven't heard anything about them lately. Just sayin' ... I don't think they actually picked up the mantle.

Funny you guys should mention Great White. They're among my favorite late 80's bands that I really was into during the late 80's. I was listening to some Great White the other night, especially the song House of Broken Love. I was thinking wow, Jack Russell is sure sounding like Robert Plant there but he's doing it so well! :thumbsup: