Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > 90's
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

90's Discuss the best music from the 90's.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2015, 04:11 AM   #1
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $60272
Give Thanks: 463
Kurt Cobain solo album to be released in November

https://consequenceofsound.net/2015/0...d-in-november/
MusicLover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:58 AM   #2
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Gameroom cash: $3549
Give Thanks: 23
Re: Kurt Cobain solo album to be released in November

Sounds pretty good. There've been rumors of a "Kurt Cobain solo album" follow-up to the Nirvana boxset for over a decade.

Quote:
These aren’t multi-track, finished songs or work-ups,
That part tempers my excitement a smidge, though. When are we ever going to get the rest of Fecal Matter? And Kurt's solo multi-track material (like Clean Up Before She Comes), is some of the coolest stuff he's ever done. Even just one of those on this set would elevate it to a whole new level.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Sounds pretty good. There've been rumors of a "Kurt Cobain solo album" follow-up to the Nirvana boxset for over a decade.

That part tempers my excitement a smidge, though. When are we ever going to get the rest of Fecal Matter? And Kurt's solo multi-track material (like Clean Up Before She Comes), is some of the coolest stuff he's ever done. Even just one of those on this set would elevate it to a whole new level.
This might be interesting.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:56 PM   #4
BeatlesFan3287
Classic Rocker

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $8037
Give Thanks: 58

Quote:
When are we ever going to get the rest of Fecal Matter?
Curious...what is Fecal Matter? Nirvana's lost album perhaps?
BeatlesFan3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:15 AM   #5
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatlesFan3287 View Post
Curious...what is Fecal Matter? Nirvana's lost album perhaps?
Glad you asked! Technically Fecal Matter was the name of Kurt's band before Nirvana, but generally it's just known as the recording Kurt made on a 4-track with Dale Crover from The Melvins in '85 or '86. It's the album that made Krist Novoselic want to make music with Kurt and it's the earliest serious recording Kurt made.

The only song from the album that's ever been officially released is Spank Thru which came out on Sliver: The Best of the Box. Spank Thru's been recorded a few times by Nirvana but the Fecal Matter version is IMO the best, which makes me pretty excited to hear the rest of the album. It includes a few familiar songs but it's mostly composed of Kurt Cobain originals we've never heard before... so it sounds pretty enticing! Hard to believe they haven't released it yet, it should have been either on With The Light Out, or the Bleach deluxe version, or released as its own album by now.

I'm pretty sure most (or all) of Fecal Matter has leaked online, but I don't really eff with bootlegs anymore. I'm just not net savvy enough to find them in good quality. Back in the KazZa and Limewire days it was really easy to find a lot of rare live material and the like, but these days with torrents... generally all I can find is the official material. Plus when it comes to something like Fecal Matter that I'm pretty sure will be released officially eventually, I like just wait and get the real version in perfect quality.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:50 AM   #6
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Kurt Cobainís lost cover of The Beatlesí ďAnd I Love HerĒ to be released

https://consequenceofsound.net/2015/0...o-be-released/
Old 09-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #7
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

That sounds interesting.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:08 PM   #8
BeatlesFan3287
Classic Rocker

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $8037
Give Thanks: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover7 View Post
Kurt Cobainís lost cover of The Beatlesí ďAnd I Love HerĒ to be released

https://consequenceofsound.net/2015/0...o-be-released/
Its a very dark, creepy cover. Obviously "And I Love Her" was one of the darker of the Beatles' earlier singles, but this just gives me the chills.

The only thing, its way too short: more of a demo than anything else.
BeatlesFan3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #9
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

New details on Kurt Cobain solo album revealed

Montage of Heck: The Home Recordings set for a November 13th street date

https://consequenceofsound.net/2015/0...lbum-revealed/
Old 11-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #10
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

AUDIO: Kurt Cobain demo of Been A Son previews Montage Of Heck soundtrack

https://www.hennemusic.com/2015/11/au...-been-son.html
Old 11-07-2015, 07:49 AM   #11
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

A few of the tracks are available to purchase on iTunes. They're not the most promising, very short and very raw. But the tracklist looks promising. The fact that there's another version of Clean Up Before She Comes, that gets me very excited! And a 10 minute medley of Do Re Mi? That's interesting and also probably confirms that this set stretches from Kurt's earliest days to nearly his last.

Looking forward to this and Neil's new release dropping on the same day.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:36 AM   #12
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Album Review: Kurt Cobain Montage of Heck: The Home Recordings

Itís time to stop buying Nirvana records.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2015/1...me-recordings/
Old 11-10-2015, 11:25 AM   #13
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Quote:
the endless procession of box sets, greatest hits compilations, and rarities collections that descend upon the headphoned masses every holiday season like some garish parade of the dead.
Now that's just plain not accurate!

Nirvana ranks squarely in the middle on the scale of how much content they release in comparison to other bands. On one end of the spectrum you have a band like L7 or Neutral Milk Hotel that has almost no material outside of their primary studio albums, and on the other end of the spectrum you'd have artists that release dozens of auxiliary discs such as The Doors (24 live albums, 19 compilations), Metallica (an endlessly updated collection of new live shows to buy on their site), Jimi Hendrix (12 posthumous studio albums, 25 live albums, 22 compilations), Bob Dylan (11 live albums pre-Bootleg Series, 22 compilations, and 12 Bootleg Series including that infamous disc of nothing but Like a Rolling Stone outtakes).

Now let's take a look at Nirvana's stats. 3 live albums, 4 compilations, and 6 boxsets (including the remastered versions of the albums, and the Singles collection). That's a reasonable amount even for the short time that Nirvana was recording.

That being said, I agree with the reviewer about this particular album. So far it looks to be a pretty haphazard, mostly worthless cash-grab. But luckily there's still some good Nirvana stuff left in the vaults to look forward to. We need the full version of Fecal Matter and we need some '94 era live material like the electric version of Man Who Sold The World and the early You Know You're Right. Other than that there's probably not much left in the vault, really.

Luckily in the internet age it doesn't matter what kind of weird garbage they release. We can pick and choose what we want to pay for. I honestly don't even have Live at Reading or the Bleach live album or most of the Nevermind deluxe extras. For this new record I'll be picking up Clean Up Before She Comes and probably a few more of the tracks, but not much else.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:01 AM   #14
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Now that all the preview clips are up, there actually is some cool stuff on here to explore. I would have loved a record like this 10 years ago when I'd have wanted to explore Kurt's songwriting process. It's mainly worthwhile if you want to sit around and fantasize about the records Kurt Cobain COULD have made, had he been able.

There are definitely a lot of ridiculous tracks on here. Half-written, half-recorded, poor sound quality snippets. Pay $1.29 to listen to Kurt Cobain strum the chords from Scoff for thirty-seven SECONDS. Listen to Kurt goof around with reverb like a 13 year old with his first pedal. And this version of Sappy being pushed as one of the albums singles is a markedly inferior version of the SEVERAL other versions of Sappy we already have. It's basically just the slow version we got from Sliver, except more rudimentary and poorly recorded.

But there are some very cool tracks on here as well. She Only Lies is an atmospheric, interesting tune, it would have worked great if Kurt had developed a kind of spacey four-track record with songs like this, Clean Up Before She Comes, and Polly. Letters to Frances is really cool too and one of the very few Kurt Cobain songs that actually sound folky, as opposed to just punk chords on a clean guitar.

Ultimately this set is much too haphazard and raw. The better, more complete tracks from this album should have been combined with some of the other nearly-complete rarities out there (Fecal Matter and the classic version of Old Age that still has yet to be released), and we would have had a new classic Kurt Cobain album, instead of a so-so mess.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #15
hodad

Gameroom cash: $28591
Give Thanks: 164

Passed up on this today and purchased Neil Young's Bluenote Cafe instead. BTW, Nirvana's Live At Reading is great.
hodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:30 AM   #16
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Bluenote Cafe is beautiful. This Note's For You never should have been a studio album to begin with. If it had been a live "studio" album like Rust Never Sleeps and Time Fades Away then that would have been considered his "comeback album" instead of Freedom.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:18 AM   #17
hodad

Gameroom cash: $28591
Give Thanks: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Bluenote Cafe is beautiful
After playing it through once I agree. Probably my favorite release of the year. The Blue Notes were a great hot-shot bluesy live horn band, wish I could have seen them back in the day.
hodad is offline   Reply With Quote