Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2015, 09:41 PM   #19
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $21154
Give Thanks: 169
Exclamation Re: 5 Bands That Should Retire (Now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
My position is that they now suck and should quit. That's my opinion. The fact that people pay large amounts of money to see sucky concerts, in no way affects my position that they now suck and should quit. They should quit because they're an embarrassment.

You are right about the concert goer being the final arbitrators of what pleases them, and it is their money. I just wish they'd stop enabling these once great hero's of rock & roll to make complete asses of themselves, it's painful for me to watch.
Well if you now find them sucky, don't watch! There are evidently tens of thousands of concert goers wherever these bands perform who disagree with you. They're not paying these bands to suck; they don't think that these bands suck!

If your argument were applied to any other consumer product, the irrationality of your position would become even more obvious. Just because you dislike product A doesn't mean that product A should not be produced. The market will determine whether product A continues to be produced. So long as a sufficient quantity of people continue to buy the product, it will continue to be produced. Shoulds don't come into it.

Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:27 PM   #20
Zombeels

Gameroom cash: $3699
Give Thanks: 1
Re: 5 Bands That Should Retire (Now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
Well if you now find them sucky, don't watch! There are evidently tens of thousands of concert goers wherever these bands perform who disagree with you. They're not paying these bands to suck; they don't think that these bands suck!

If your argument were applied to any other consumer product, the irrationality of your position would become even more obvious. Just because you dislike product A doesn't mean that product A should not be produced. The market will determine whether product A continues to be produced. So long as a sufficient quantity of people continue to buy the product, it will continue to be produced. Shoulds don't come into it.

I think you used an appropiate analogy here. There was a thread on another forum about people's favourite chocolate. A poster mentioned that Hershey's Kisses is their favourite chocolate. Another poster pointed out that Hershey doesn't even use real chocolate any more. The original poster admitted later on that it was probably the memory of eating Hershey's Kisses when they were a child that made them think that they were better than they really were. This is why these people attend these shows or still buy the new releases. Like I said before if you released these albums under a diffrent bands name and played these albums to the same people they would show no interest. As soon as you attach the label of one of their classic heroes, their ability to detect the quality of the music goes out the window.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:17 AM   #21
BeatlesFan3287
Classic Rocker

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $8037
Give Thanks: 58

At least the five bands mentioned have some of their original members.

Lynyrd Skynyrd was the first band to come to mind when I saw this thread. Isn't there only one original member left?
BeatlesFan3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:49 AM   #22
Black Night
Is a long way from home

Gameroom cash: $1878
Give Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover7 View Post
I think we have a few of those fans here on this forum.
Quote:
The Moody Blues

Two of the original band members (Ray Thomas and Mike Pinder) have retired, and their live performances are very sub-par. They also haven't recorded a new studio album since 2003.
I knew you couldn't let it go. The individual members record solo stuff, and get together to play Moody Blues music, which is what the fans want to hear.

https://reviews.ticketmaster.com/7171...ws/reviews.htm

Over 4500 US fans given mainly great reviews, so they are not quite the disaster you suggest over there.

You can only speak for yourself if you don't like them. The vast majority who are standing, cheering, and enjoying shows are giving their opinion, and they greatly outnumber you.

Deep Purple only have one original member left, and the two that joined to create the classic line up, just like the Moodies, and some say similar about them, but far more still go and enjoy them.
Black Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:31 AM   #23
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $60272
Give Thanks: 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Night View Post

Over 4500 US fans given mainly great reviews, so they are not quite the disaster you suggest over there.

You can only speak for yourself if you don't like them. The vast majority who are standing, cheering, and enjoying shows are giving their opinion, and they greatly outnumber you.
Numbers again? Since when does quantity ensure quality?

Whether there is 5,000 fans in the audience or 100 fans they still play the same old watered-down medicore setlist night after night and year after year. Two of the key original members of the group have retired, and the remaining original members musical talents have greatly eroded over the past 40 years.

If the group and the reviews are so great as you claim, then why have they been playing to half empty 3,000 (and smaller) seat venues?
MusicLover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:48 AM   #24
Black Night
Is a long way from home

Gameroom cash: $1878

Quote:
Numbers again? Since when does quantity ensure quality?

Whether there is 5,000 fans in the audience or 100 fans they still play the same old watered-down medicore setlist night after night and year after year. Two of the key original members of the group have retired, and the remaining original members musical talents have greatly eroded over the past 40 years.

If the group and the reviews are so great as you claim, then why have they been playing to half empty 3,000 (and smaller) seat venues?
You can see the reviews. After all these years, the fan base has dwindled, as with many of the older bands.

However, a substantial number still enjoy going to see them. Why should that stop because you don't like them?
Black Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:23 AM   #25
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

There's an enormous logical leap between saying that a band isn't any good anymore and saying that band should now quit/retire. To make that connection presupposes that your opinion is the only one that counts.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #26
hodad

Gameroom cash: $28591
Give Thanks: 164

Just like any other profession, if you love what you're doing keep on doing it. If that's the case most likely your health will decide your retirement date.
hodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #27
butch
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 31

I dont care which bands stay active. I just am no longer interested in their take on things or often their sound. The only 60s band that has made an album I like in the 2000 era is The Zombies.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #28
CosmicDancer
Ain't No Substitute For Arrogance

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $3124
Give Thanks: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
I see it more as a scale. If you're the only original member then even if you were the biggest factor in the band's sound, I still think the scale tips to the point where you would say the key creative elements are gone. No matter how crucial they were, one person can't embody a group by themselves.

I mean, I definitely see what you mean, as Scholz was the songwriter and all, but I think there's a threshold where that can be outweighed by the entire rest of the band -- even if they're not writing the songs, their flourishes still affect the band's creative output to the point where even the main guy alone is missing the essential pieces. Alvin Lee isn't Ten Years After, Kurt Cobain isn't Nirvana, no matter how crucial they were. In my opinion, anyway.
I agree with you in most cases, for sure. Like I said, I was just being nit-picky.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:07 PM   #29
Desdinova
Radios Appear!
Island Colonizer Champion, Pizza Pronto Champion, Super Sun Run Champion, Color Bomb Champion, Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Snake Champion, Asteroids Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, 3D Field Goal - Pro Champion, Coconutz On The Beach Champion, 3 Point Shootout Champion, Crystal Klondike Solitaire Champion, Paddle Ball Champion, 7th Thinning Smash Champion, Arkadium Skeeball Champion, Dropiz Champion, George Of The Jungle Swinging Kingdom Champion, Helicopter Champion, Smash Palace Champion, American Racing Champion, Moto Tomb Racer Champion, Flipped Out Champion, Run Home Champion, 2D Shootout Champion, Batman Gotham City Rush Champion, Pirates Blast Champion, Chomper Champion, Shuffle Champion, Backyards Buzzing Champion, Pixelknight II Champion, Hyper Travel Champion, Dragon Flame 2 Champion, Bob The Robber Champion, Reclamation Champion, Boulder Basher 2 Champion, Big Wave Dave Champion, Homer`s Beer Run 2 Champion, Ztar Champion, Crazy Taxi Champion, Olympic Shooting Practice Champion, Adventure Jack Champion, Highspeed Chase Champion, Mouse Hunt Champion, Heat Rush Champion, Curveball Champion

Gameroom cash: $1500
Give Thanks: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post

I'm glad you brought this up,....McDonald's,...McDonald's sucks sweaty old donkey balls,...yet people go there and eat their crap in droves, they continue to thrive in spite of crappy food and crappy service. Just because these's a market for something, doesn't automatically mean it's good or has any worth. Again I will stress, this is just my opinion,...not fact,...this what I think,...not what I think that you or anyone else should think,..you can think what ever you want. I'm voicing my opinion on a forum, take with a grain of salt. I can't believe I have to include this disclaimer, I thought every one knew forums were for voicing personal opinions.

Edit: I've only been posting here a couple days,....way to beat up the new guy,...
Old 06-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #30
Fever Dog
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Night View Post
It's up to them what they do, and up to us if we want to see them.
Exactly
Old 06-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #31
Fever Dog
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg29 View Post
Lynyrd Skynrd

Last 2 albums have been called Chatanooga Choo-Choo and God & Guns...nuff said.

The tribute band currently using the name should change it to something else.
Last Of A Dyin' Breed and Gods & Guns were their last two albums
Old 06-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #32
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
I'm glad you brought this up,....McDonald's,...McDonald's sucks sweaty old donkey balls,...yet people go there and eat their crap in droves, they continue to thrive in spite of crappy food and crappy service. Just because these's a market for something, doesn't automatically mean it's good or has any worth.
I agree. I too think McDonalds sucks. But I'm not arguing that the chain should close down because we both think it sucks. And that's the crux of my point.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:30 AM   #33
bobbyg29
Professor of Rock n Roll

Gameroom cash: $3493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dog View Post
Last Of A Dyin' Breed and Gods & Guns were their last two albums
Choo choo is their upcoming release..
Old 06-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #34
Spaced
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $2063
Give Thanks: 41

Bands that SHOULD retire = NONE.

MUSIC IS FOR LIFE. I thought everyone knew that.
Spaced is offline   Reply With Quote
These Users say Thanks to Spaced:
Old 06-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #35
hightea
your opinion which is of no consequence at all
Administrator
Lateral Collateral 2 Champion, Airport Champion, Sudoku Omega Champion

Gameroom cash: $1327
Give Thanks: 6

Let the bands play on. 😀

I wouldn't see and of those bands live but I can understand people going. I also see it from the band side of things, if you can still make money then it's okay with me.

I've got more problems with bands that have one or no original members and try to use a band name to sell tickets.

Top Concert Pictures of 2016

CRF2 10 Years of Live Music!
hightea is offline   Reply With Quote
These Users say Thanks to hightea:
Old 06-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #36
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $60272
Give Thanks: 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightea View Post