Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $60237
Give Thanks: 463
Van Halen Trying To Stop Sammy Hagar From Performing Songs?

https://www.hennemusic.com/2015/06/sa...re-trying.html
MusicLover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
CosmicDancer
Ain't No Substitute For Arrogance

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $3124
Give Thanks: 7
Re: Van Halen Trying To Stop Sammy Hagar From Performing Songs?

Anyone that's been hear any amount of time knows that I can't stand Sammy Hagar, but if this is true, it's a dick move by Eddie and Alex. If Sammy wants to play those songs that he co-wrote, then he should have every right to. Especially considering the fact that Van Halen aren't playing them. Personally, I think Van Hagar was awful and would be fine with never hearing those songs again, but there are some people that want to hear them and if Sam wants to deliver that, nobody should be able to stop him.

The only part of Sammy's statement that I take issue with is the part where he takes shots at the current VH and their inability to play his songs. Dave's voice isn't what it once was, for sure. I'm not even going to see that he'd do a great job singing Sam's songs. But the fact that Dave can't sing those songs is not why Van Halen isn't playing them. It's because the overwhelming demand from the majority Van Halen fans for quite some time has been to hear the songs from the classic Dave era. It's pretty obvious when Van Halen is still packing people in at big arenas while Sam is playing smaller theaters and venues. They aren't playing "Why Can't This Be Love" because there is no big demand for it. For the time being, the vast majority of their fans want to hear the Roth era tunes. That may change if Roth continues to underwhelm on the 2015 tour, but for now, it's true.

Sammy also continues to distort the truth on the amount of albums Van Hagar sold. He may be quoting worldwide numbers when he says they sold 40-47 million albums, but I doubt the numbers are even close to that considering the fact that in the US, they sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 million. You know who did get MUCH closer to that number? Van Halen with Roth with somewhere in the neighborhood of 34 million albums sold in the US alone. Sales certainly aren't everything and mean very little to me, but every time you see an argument from a Van Hagar fan about why he's so great, they say that he sold more albums. Sammy has said the same thing over and over again. Problem is, it's not true in the least. They may have had the #1's, but albums sales aren't even close.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #3
CosmicDancer

My Mood:

Eddie Van Halen Billboard Story

Yikes, this is bad PR on Eddie's part. He has managed to take the high road on issues regarding Hagar and Michael Anthony until this point. I have no sympathy for Hagar since he can't do an interview without bringing up VH. He deserves to get ripped a new one, but Michael Anthony has always been respectful and has never sunk to Hagar's level. I get that Ed has to get annoyed with people wanting Mikey back when his own son is in the band now and doing a terrific job, IMO, but that's no reason to slam Mikey this way. It's uncalled for.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:24 AM   #4
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Gameroom cash: $3549
Give Thanks: 23

I don't recall Roth trying to stop Hagar & Halen from doing the Roth era songs on their tour ten years ago.

I mean, da frick does Halen honestly expect to do? As long as you pay the ASCAP bloodmoney you can play anybody's songs you want. You can get up on stage and play nothing but The Beatles, whether you're Paul McCartney or Joe Meshuggina. Doesn't seem plausible that Eddie can stop Hagar from doing those songs, regardless of the fact that it's also wrong and immoral of him to attempt to do so.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:24 AM   #5
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Sammy Hagar Defends Michael Anthony: ‘F— You, Eddie Van Halen’

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/sammy...die-van-halen/
Old 06-20-2015, 07:49 AM   #6
That 70s Guy
Bad

Gameroom cash: $1658
Give Thanks: 1

Eddie is bitter cos VH just released the worst live album of all time and Sammy's latest "The Circle" (which consists mostly of Van Hagar songs) is pretty damn excellent!
Old 06-20-2015, 07:58 AM   #7
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Eddie Van Halen sounds like a jerk.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #8
bobbyg29
Professor of Rock n Roll

Gameroom cash: $3493
Give Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover7 View Post
Sammy Hagar Defends Michael Anthony: ‘F— You, Eddie Van Halen’

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/sammy...die-van-halen/
Wow. Sammy leaping at an opportunity to trash talk VH....never would have seen that coming.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:21 AM   #9
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Video: Sammy Hagar slams Eddie Van Halen: “You’re a liar”

https://consequenceofsound.net/2015/0...-youre-a-liar/
Old 06-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #10
butch
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 31

Eddie is a jerk. Sammy is a jerk. Oddly the only balanced one is Dave.

WTH is Eddie talking about “It’s hard, because there are four people in this band, and three of us like rock’n’roll. And one of us likes dance music,”

Wasn’t Dave the one who fought to not have two songs on 1984 with synthesizer leads? In fact, fighting over the use of synthesizers was one of the main reasons Dave quit.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:29 AM   #11
CosmicDancer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch View Post
Eddie is a jerk. Sammy is a jerk. Oddly the only balanced one is Dave.

WTH is Eddie talking about “It’s hard, because there are four people in this band, and three of us like rock’n’roll. And one of us likes dance music,”

Wasn’t Dave the one who fought to not have two songs on 1984 with synthesizer leads? In fact, fighting over the use of synthesizers was one of the main reasons Dave quit.
I think Dave's attitude's have changed over the years. I recently saw a documentary online about the 1984 album that was made post-reunion and Dave was talking about the fact that the BPM (beats per minute) of the song Jump was specifically chosen becuase it was the scientifically noted to be the best to dance to. Who knows how accurate that info is, but it was from Dave's mouth. I also read somewhere that it was Dave that wanted synth in Tattoo from the latest album and that it is him actually playing it. I know that Dave has said in the past that he's more into R&B music than most rock music, so maybe that's what Ed's refferring to when he says dance music? From what I've read, Dave was the reason that Kool and the Gang were chosed as their tour support back in 2012. Also, there is a strong possibility that Eddie is full of crap as well. Who knows?
Old 06-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #12
butch
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDancer View Post
I think Dave's attitude's have changed over the years. I recently saw a documentary online about the 1984 album that was made post-reunion and Dave was talking about the fact that the BPM (beats per minute) of the song Jump was specifically chosen becuase it was the scientifically noted to be the best to dance to. Who knows how accurate that info is, but it was from Dave's mouth. I also read somewhere that it was Dave that wanted synth in Tattoo from the latest album and that it is him actually playing it. I know that Dave has said in the past that he's more into R&B music than most rock music, so maybe that's what Ed's refferring to when he says dance music? From what I've read, Dave was the reason that Kool and the Gang were chosed as their tour support back in 2012. Also, there is a strong possibility that Eddie is full of crap as well. Who knows?
Ya they are both likely full of crap. But Eddie is slinging it publicly, which is becoming a routine for him. From
Wikipedia’s “Jump” page:

"""This stylistic change was further cemented when it seemed to create severe tensions between Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth. It has been claimed Roth wanted the band to avoid using synthesizers and focus more on traditional hard rock. This conflict eventually ended in Roth's departure from the band. In the 1995 Rolling Stone cover story on/interview with Eddie Van Halen the circumstances surrounding Roth's leaving are discussed."""

Truth is VH got a big payday from going pop and they all likely warmed up to it. But it was Eddie’s who uncompromisingly insisted they go pop - not Dave. That’s why his statement sounds so hypocritical to me.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:38 PM   #13
CosmicDancer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch View Post
Ya they are both likely full of crap. But Eddie is slinging it publicly, which is becoming a routine for him. From
Wikipedia’s “Jump” page:

"""This stylistic change was further cemented when it seemed to create severe tensions between Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth. It has been claimed Roth wanted the band to avoid using synthesizers and focus more on traditional hard rock. This conflict eventually ended in Roth's departure from the band. In the 1995 Rolling Stone cover story on/interview with Eddie Van Halen the circumstances surrounding Roth's leaving are discussed."""

Truth is VH got a big payday from going pop and they all likely warmed up to it. But it was Eddie’s who uncompromisingly insisted they go pop - not Dave. That’s why his statement sounds so hypocritical to me.
Yeah, I agree that the $$ probably made them all love it a bit more.

Since the reunion tour with Roth, has Eddie been slinging crap publicly? I'm not saying he hasn't, but I can't recall him saying much of anything about Sammy or Mike in that period. Haven't heard Mike slinging any either. Sammy on the other hand.......He'll give it a go any chance he gets. Hell, he probably asks interviewers to ask him about VH so that he can badmouth them. I'd say that outside of Michael Anthony and Gary Cherone, all of the VH members are jackasses.