Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge > Classic Rock in the News
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Classic Rock in the News This area finds "Classic Rock" in the news and posts the articles to the site.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
Site Admin
Classic Rocker
Administrator

My Mood:

Give Thanks: 0
Columbia House Record Club Reportedly Relaunching as Vinyl Service - Ultimate Classic

Ultimate Classic Rock

Columbia House Record Club Reportedly Relaunching as Vinyl Service
Ultimate Classic Rock
Mere months after Columbia House filed for bankruptcy, the fallen music mail-order giant is reportedly poised to relaunch as a vinyl-only delivery service. The Wall Street Journal spoke with Columbia House owner John Lippman, who purchased the brand ...
Columbia House Seeks Revival as Vinyl Finds New GrooveWall Street Journal

all 21 news articles »

More...
Site Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Black Dahlia
A Seasoned Witch

Location: Rh- So that's why... turns out I AM from another planet!

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $7850
Give Thanks: 45
Re: Columbia House Record Club Reportedly Relaunching as Vinyl Service - Ultimate Cla

NOOOooooooo.....

Old 12-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
JET
Midway Up The Ceiling
Pacos adventure 3 Champion, Fluxball Champion, Win a Million 2 Champion, Penthouse Pool Champion, Movie Connection Champion, Stay The Distance Champion, Rail Rush Champion, Wheel Of Fortune Champion, Simon Champion, Kid Canyon Champion, Word Sailing Champion, Rock Shoot Champion, Zerpent Champion, Horse Jumping 3D Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, 3D Pacman Champion, Holdem Flash Poker Champion, Dart Challenge 501 Champion, Crazy Chess Champion, Cigarette Killer Champion, Wylie And Friends Champion, Candy Shooter 2 Champion

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $47422
Give Thanks: 67
Re: Columbia House Record Club Reportedly Relaunching as Vinyl Service - Ultimate Cla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dahlia View Post
NOOOooooooo.....

Okay, tell me why that is a bad thing. Remember, I did not grow up with vinyl.

In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind. - Job 12:10
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 03:04 AM   #4
Black Dahlia
A Seasoned Witch

My Mood:

Most of the time, the "club" records were of a lesser-quality.

I have two examples of many that exist. The 90125 album by Yes was mastered at the incorrect speed (too fast), and the Reckless album by Bryan Adams left out part of the intro of the first song "One Night Love Affair".

It's my understanding that the master stampers that Columbia House Record Club used were made by them, from copies of the master tapes. If you have ever copied a tape to a tape, you will know what a difference in quality it is, using that second generation recording to manufacture the records.

...but the problem that I have with this news, is that all the used record stores will eventually be flooded with these club editions; Collectors avoid club editions like poison.

Last edited by Black Dahlia : 12-26-2015 at 03:39 AM.
Black Dahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:45 PM   #5
JET
Midway Up The Ceiling
Pacos adventure 3 Champion, Fluxball Champion, Win a Million 2 Champion, Penthouse Pool Champion, Movie Connection Champion, Stay The Distance Champion, Rail Rush Champion, Wheel Of Fortune Champion, Simon Champion, Kid Canyon Champion, Word Sailing Champion, Rock Shoot Champion, Zerpent Champion, Horse Jumping 3D Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, 3D Pacman Champion, Holdem Flash Poker Champion, Dart Challenge 501 Champion, Crazy Chess Champion, Cigarette Killer Champion, Wylie And Friends Champion, Candy Shooter 2 Champion

My Mood:

Quote:
Most of the time, the "club" records were of a lesser-quality.

I have two examples of many that exist. The 90125 album by Yes was mastered at the incorrect speed (too fast), and the Reckless album by Bryan Adams left out part of the intro of the first song "One Night Love Affair".

It's my understanding that the master stampers that Columbia House Record Club used were made by them, from copies of the master tapes. If you have ever copied a tape to a tape, you will know what a difference in quality it is, using that second generation recording to manufacture the records.

...but the problem that I have with this news, is that all the used record stores will eventually be flooded with these club editions; Collectors avoid club editions like poison.
That makes sense. I remember when I was just a little kid and my mom ordered some classical stuff on vinyl. It seemed like a lot of songs for the "amount of vinyl." She got them and it turned out they only played thirty seconds of each song.

In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind. - Job 12:10
Old 12-27-2015, 08:27 PM   #6
Black Dahlia
A Seasoned Witch

My Mood:

Sounds like that may have been a sampler album.

After the Reckless album discovery, I ordered a 'real' copy of the album (mastered at Masterdisk). After listening to them both, there was a very noticeable leap in sound quality on the Masterdisk copy.

The average listeners back then prob didn't mind, or even notice, the diminished sound quality of the club record on our typically so-so quality record players, esp since we didn't pay retail price for it.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:09 PM   #7
JET
Midway Up The Ceiling

My Mood:

Quote:
Sounds like that may have been a sampler album.

After the Reckless album discovery, I ordered a 'real' copy of the album (mastered at Masterdisk). After listening to them both, there was a very noticeable leap in sound quality on the Masterdisk copy.

The average listeners back then prob didn't mind, or even notice, the diminished sound quality of the club record on our typically so-so quality record players, esp since we didn't pay retail price for it.
I'm pretty sure they came from Columbia House Record Club. I remember she was upset because she was surprised that she only got partial songs. I don't think the add said anything about that. In other words, she got taken and learned a valuable lesson. She did try and send them back and get her money back, but she never did.

I'm pretty picky about how my music sounds. I think my husband would qualify as a below average listener. As long as some noise comes out of the speaker he doesn't care. I heard when my laser was making some really high-pitched noise, long before he did. He said I was hearing things, until we sent it in and they replaced the laser.