Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge > Zombeels Top 100 Albums Of CRF2
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Zombeels Top 100 Albums Of CRF2 A place to discuss the top 100 albums results

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
Zombeels
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $3788
Give Thanks: 1
CRF2 Top 100 Albums Of All Time #90 to 81

#90 Radiohead - The Bends 1995
290 points
Appeared on 10 lists

From AMG
Quote:
Pablo Honey in no way was adequate preparation for its epic, sprawling follow-up, The Bends. Building from the sweeping, three-guitar attack that punctuated the best moments of Pablo Honey, Radiohead create a grand and forceful sound that nevertheless resonates with anguish and despair — it's cerebral anthemic rock. Occasionally, the album displays its influences, whether it's U2, Pink Floyd, R.E.M., or the Pixies, but Radiohead turn clichιs inside out, making each song sound bracingly fresh. Thom Yorke's tortured lyrics give the album a melancholy undercurrent, as does the surging, textured music. But what makes The Bends so remarkable is that it marries such ambitious, and often challenging, instrumental soundscapes to songs that are at their cores hauntingly melodic and accessible. It makes the record compelling upon first listen, but it reveals new details with each listen, and soon it becomes apparent that with The Bends, Radiohead have reinvented anthemic rock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radiohead - The Bends.jpg (41.0 KB, 295 views)
Old 03-25-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
Zombeels
Classic Rocker

Re: CRF2 Top 100 Albums Of All Time #90 to 81

#89 Santana - Abraxas 1970
291 points
Appears on 9 lists

From AMG
Quote:
The San Francisco Bay Area rock scene of the late '60s was one that encouraged radical experimentation and discouraged the type of mindless conformity that's often plagued corporate rock. When one considers just how different Santana, Jefferson Airplane, Moby Grape, and the Grateful Dead sounded, it becomes obvious just how much it was encouraged. In the mid-'90s, an album as eclectic as Abraxas would be considered a marketing exec's worst nightmare. But at the dawn of the 1970s, this unorthodox mix of rock, jazz, salsa, and blues proved quite successful. Whether adding rock elements to salsa king Tito Puente's "Oye Como Va," embracing instrumental jazz-rock on "Incident at Neshabur" and "Samba Pa Ti," or tackling moody blues-rock on Fleetwood Mac's "Black Magic Woman," the band keeps things unpredictable yet cohesive. Many of the Santana albums that came out in the '70s are worth acquiring, but for novices, Abraxas is an excellent place to start.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Santana - Abraxas.jpg (44.3 KB, 294 views)
Old 03-25-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
Zombeels
Classic Rocker

#88 U2 - Achtung Baby 1991
299 points
Appears on 8 lists

From AMG
Quote:
Reinventions rarely come as thorough and effective as Achtung Baby, an album that completely changed U2's sound and style. The crashing, unrecognizable distorted guitars that open "Zoo Station" are a clear signal that U2 have traded their Americana pretensions for postmodern, contemporary European music. Drawing equally from Bowie's electronic, avant-garde explorations of the late '70s and the neo-psychedelic sounds of the thriving rave and Madchester club scenes of early-'90s England, Achtung Baby sounds vibrant and endlessly inventive. Unlike their inspirations, U2 rarely experiment with song structures over the course of the album. Instead, they use the thick dance beats, swirling guitars, layers of effects, and found sounds to break traditional songs out of their constraints, revealing the tortured emotional core of their songs with the hyper-loaded arrangements. In such a dense musical setting, it isn't surprising that U2 have abandoned the political for the personal on Achtung Baby, since the music, even with its inviting rhythms, is more introspective than anthemic. Bono has never been as emotionally naked as he is on Achtung Baby, creating a feverish nightmare of broken hearts and desperate loneliness; unlike other U2 albums, it's filled with sexual imagery, much of it quite disturbing, and it ends on a disquieting note. Few bands as far into their career as U2 have recorded an album as adventurous or fulfilled their ambitions quite as successfully as they do on Achtung Baby, and the result is arguably their best album.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg u2 - Achtung.jpg (50.0 KB, 294 views)
Old 03-25-2007, 10:40 PM   #4
Zombeels
Classic Rocker

#87 Kiss - Destroyer 1976
304 points
Appears on 8 lists

From AMG
Quote:
The pressure was on Kiss for their fifth release, and the band knew it. Their breakthrough, Alive!, was going to be hard to top, so instead of trying to recreate a concert setting in the studio, they went the opposite route. Destroyer is one of Kiss' most experimental studio albums, but also one of their strongest and most interesting. Alice Cooper/Pink Floyd producer Bob Ezrin was on hand, and he strongly encouraged the band to experiment — there's extensive use of sound effects (the album's untitled closing track), the appearance of a boy's choir ("Great Expectations"), and an orchestra-laden, heartfelt ballad ("Beth"). But there's plenty of Kiss' heavy thunder rock to go around, such as the demonic "God of Thunder" and the sing-along anthems "Flaming Youth," "Shout It Out Loud," "King of the Night Time World," and "Detroit Rock City" (the latter a tale of a doomed concert-goer, complete with violent car-crash sound effects). But it was the aforementioned Peter Criss ballad, "Beth," that made Destroyer such a success; the song was a surprise Top Ten hit (it was originally released as a B-side to "Detroit Rock City"). Also included is a song that Nirvana would later cover ("Do You Love Me?"), as well as an ode to the pleasures of S&M, "Sweet Pain." Destroyer also marked the first time that a comic-book illustration of the band appeared on the cover, confirming that the band was transforming from hard rockers to superheroes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kiss_destroyer.jpg (35.7 KB, 294 views)
Old 03-25-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
Zombeels
Classic Rocker

#86 Geneisis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway 1974
308 points
Appears on 7 lists

From AMG
Quote:
The group's only double studio album was the culmination of their early period, featuring Peter Gabriel in a bravura performance in the role of Rael, a New York street hustler, in this musical drama. The singing and playing are all strong, and the remastered edition from 1995 is the first CD edition that sounds as good as (or better than) the superb original Atco pressing from 1975. The piece's length makes it something of an acquired taste, but most serious fans regard this as the best record the group ever cut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg genesis - lamb lies down on broadway.jpg (8.2 KB, 284 views)
Old 03-25-2007, 10:45 PM   #6
Zombeels
Classic Rocker

#85 Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction 1987
308 points
Appears on 9 lists

From AMG
Quote:
Guns N' Roses' debut, Appetite for Destruction was a turning point for hard rock in the late '80s — it was a dirty, dangerous, and mean record in a time when heavy metal meant nothing but a good time. On the surface, Guns N' Roses may appear to celebrate the same things as their peers — namely, sex, liquor, drugs, and rock & roll — but there is a nasty edge to their songs, since Axl Rose doesn't see much fun in the urban sprawl of L.A. and its parade of heavy metal thugs, cheap women, booze, and crime. The music is as nasty as the lyrics, wallowing in a bluesy, metallic hard rock borrowed from Aerosmith, AC/DC, and countless faceless hard rock bands of the early '80s. It's a primal, sleazy sound that adds grit to already grim tales. It also makes Rose's misogyny, fear, and anger hard to dismiss as merely an artistic statement; this is music that sounds lived-in. And that's exactly why Appetite for Destruction is such a powerful record — not only does Rose have fears, but he also is vulnerable, particularly on the power ballad "Sweet Child O' Mine." He also has a talent
for conveying the fears and horrors of the decaying inner city, whether it's on the charging "Welcome to the Jungle," the heroin ode "Mr. Brownstone," or "Paradise City," which simply wants
out. But as good as Rose's lyrics and screeching vocals are, they wouldn't be nearly as effective without the twin-guitar interplay of Slash and Izzy Stradlin, who spit out riffs and solos better than
any band since the Rolling Stones, and that's what makes Appetite for Destruction the best metal record of the late '80s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guns n roses - apetite for destruction.jpg (31.0 KB, 285 views)
Old 03-25-2007, 10:47 PM   #7
Zombeels
Classic Rocker

#84 Tom Petty - Damn The Torpedoes 1979
313 points
Appears on 8 lists

From AMG
Quote:
Amazingly, through all the frustration and anguish, Petty & the Heartbreakers delivered their breakthrough and arguably their masterpiece with Damn the Torpedoes. Musically, it follows
through on the promise of their first two albums, offering a tough, streamlined fusion of the Stones and Byrds that, thanks to Jimmy Iovine's clean production, sounded utterly modern yet timeless. It
helped that the Heartbreakers had turned into a tighter, muscular outfit, reminiscent of, well, the Stones in their prime — all of the parts combine into a powerful, distinctive sound capable of all
sorts of subtle variations. Their musical suppleness helps bring out the soul in Petty's impressive set of songs. He had written a few classics before — "American Girl," "Listen to Her Heart" — but
here his songwriting truly blossoms. Most of the songs have a deep melancholy undercurrent — the tough "Here Comes My Girl" and "Even the Losers" have tender hearts; the infectious "Don't Do Me Like That" masks a painful relationship; "Refugee" is a scornful, blistering rocker; "Louisiana Rain" is a tear-jerking ballad. Yet there are purpose and passion behind the performances that makes
Damn the Torpedoes an invigorating listen all the same. Few mainstream rock albums of the late '70s and early '80s were quite as strong as this, and it still stands as one of the great records of the
album
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tom petty - damn the torpedoes.jpg (30.6 KB, 286 views)
Old 03-25-2007, 10:49 PM   #8
Zombeels
Classic Rocker

#83 Free - Fire & Water 1970
317 points
Appears on 8 lists

From AMG
Quote:
If Fleetwood Mac, Humble Pie, and Foghat were never formed, Free would be considered one of the greatest post-Beatles blues-rock bands to date, and Fire and Water shows why. Conceptually fresh, with a great, roots-oriented, Band-like feel, Free distinguished itself with the public like Black Sabbath and Deep Purple did (in terms of impact, only) in 1970. Free presented itself to the world as a complete band, in every sense of the word. From Paul Kossoff's exquisite and tasteful guitar work, to Paul Rodgers' soulful vocals, this was a group that was easily worthy of the mantle worn by Cream, Blind Faith, or Derek and the Dominos .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg free - fire & water.jpg (29.2 KB, 282 views)
Old 03-25-2007, 10:52 PM   #9
Zombeels
Classic Rocker

#82 REM - Automatic For The People 1992
317 points
Appears on 10 lists

From AMG
Quote:
Turning away from the sweet pop of Out of Time, R.E.M. created a haunting, melancholy masterpiece with Automatic for the People. At its core, the album is a collection of folk songs about
aging, death, and loss, but the music has a grand, epic sweep provided by layers of lush strings, interweaving acoustic instruments, and shimmering keyboards. Automatic for the People captures the group at a crossroads, as they moved from cult heroes to elder statesmen, and the album is a graceful transition into their new status. It is a reflective album, with frank discussions on mortality, but it is not a despairing record. "Nightswimming," "Everybody Hurts," and "Sweetness Follows" have a comforting melancholy, while "Find the River" provides a positive sense of closure. R.E.M. have never been as emotionally direct as they are on Automatic for the
People, nor have they ever created music quite as rich and timeless, and while the record is not an easy listen, it is the most rewarding record in their oeuvre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rem - automatic for the people.jpg (31.0 KB, 279 views)
Old 03-25-2007, 10:55 PM   #10
Zombeels
Classic Rocker

#81 Pearl Jam - Ten 1991
317 points
Appears on 10 lists

From AMG
Quote:
Nirvana's Nevermind may have been the album that broke grunge and alternative rock into the mainstream, but there's no underestimating the role that Pearl Jam's Ten played in keeping them
there. Nirvana's appeal may have been huge, but it wasn't universal; rock radio still viewed them as too raw and punky, and some hard rock fans dismissed them as weird misfits. In retrospect, it's easy to see why Pearl Jam clicked with a mass audience — they weren't as metallic as Alice in Chains or Soundgarden, and of Seattle's Big Four, their sound owed the greatest debt to classic rock. With its intricately arranged guitar textures and expansive harmonic vocabulary, Ten especially recalled Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin. But those touchstones might not have been immediately
apparent, since — aside from Mike McCready's Clapton/Hendrix-style leads — every trace of blues influence has been completely stripped from the band's sound. Though they rock hard, Pearl Jam is too anti-star to swagger, too self-aware to puncture the album's air of gravity. Pearl Jam tackles weighty topics — abortion, homelessness, childhood traumas, gun violence, rigorous introspection — with an earnest zeal unmatched since mid-'80s U2, whose anthemic sound they frequently strive for. Similarly, Eddie Vedder's impressionistic lyrics often make their greatest impact through the passionate commitment of his delivery rather than concrete meaning. His voice had a highly distinctive timbre that perfectly fit the album's warm, rich sound, and that's part of the key — no matter how cathartic Ten's tersely titled songs got, they were never abrasive enough to affect the album's accessibility. Ten also benefited from a long gestation period, during which the band honed the material into this tightly focused form; the result is a flawlessly crafted hard rock masterpiece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pearl jam - ten.jpg (31.9 KB, 276 views)
Old 03-25-2007, 11:00 PM   #11
i said woof

i have 6 of them..
Old 03-26-2007, 01:32 AM   #12
disraelimoon
Truth

Give Thanks: 0

At this point, with the first two lists up, I think I actually prefer the "weaker" list. Although both are obviously strong, L.A. Woman is one of my favorite records ever, so it probably pushes the balance for me.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:33 AM   #13
Zombeels
Classic Rocker

I only have 4 of these albums.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:33 AM   #14
ozbeat
Rubber soul

jeez aint got any of these, are a few there that interest me
ozbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:41 AM   #15
zeppboy
The Hammer of the Gods

Gameroom cash: $2204
Give Thanks: 6

I have all of those.
zeppboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:42 AM   #16
That 70s Guy
Bad

Gameroom cash: $1658

I have # 87 "Destroyer" and #85 "Appetite For Destruction" both should be top 20.

I do want to get "Damn The Torpedos" evetually.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:14 AM   #17
FunkYouUp
:)

Interesting.
FunkYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:26 AM   #18
hightea
your opinion which is of no consequence at all
Administrator
Lateral Collateral 2 Champion, Airport Champion, Sudoku Omega Champion